Friday, November 7, 2008

Take the help you can get when it is offered!

Two days ago after leaving my women's Bible Study, I had many things to carry to my vehicle; my purse, my bible, books. notebook, a platter of leftover fruit and a plate of leftover cookies and was watching my daughter walk next to me to make sure no incidents would occur in the parking lot as we walk towards our car. On our way not one but two different people offered to help but I said "oh no, thanks but I am OK" as we kept walking I realize my keys were in my pocket and in attempting to get them the cookies went flying all over the pavement. I was frustrated with myself for not allowing these friends help me!

As I tried to handle my embarrasement in front of my daughter I just said casually, 'I think some of the cookies can be saved" to which she replied "Mommy why did you say yo did not need any help? I was even more embarrased to relize that Andrea at four years old showed me how this behavior did not make sense. I very quickly said "Ireally thought I could handle it, but next time I will accept any help that people offer, to which she very proudly replied with an "that is a good idea mommy "

As we drove away I pondered later why I did not accept the offers for help, is it that I don't want to inconvenience anyone? is it because I am not humble to accept that at times I need help, is it because I want to be self sufficient?... I concluded that if people offer help and I need help I just need to be humble and be grateful for the kidness extended to me, for all good things come from above.

1 comment:

Jason and Lisa said...

I don't know if it is all about humility. I am not the most humble person in the world and today Jolanta made fun of me for how I respond when someone asked to help me in my house. At the Birthday party one of the dad's asked if I needed help, I did not know what I needed help with but glanced around the kitchen and house trying to find a job for him to do. She also said she just tells people "No, that is okay,", even though she does want the help. We joked that next time someone asks to help, we should give them a job we have not done in a while, like wash the windows:)

I sometimes don't like people to ask to help because then I don't trust they really want to. I appreciate those that jump in and help without asking to help. It is like they are determined to seek my best interest.