Tuesday, January 20, 2009

All is well with my soul

I am pondering the process of how one becomes religious. After a gathering with some of my girlfriends and listening to their concerns and their trying to figure out how exactly they can please God, I realized that in many cases religion can be born of the pure desire to want to please God.
The problem arises when we believe that we have it in us to achieve this goal which is, according to sripture unattainable. We out of our own strength can not gain God's approval or his pleasure, we need Him to be able to achieve this.

I have lived so much of my life in the pursue of finding out whether I was or not being pleasing to God and now I realized that this pursuit is vain because It has already been achieved for me and what is left for me to do is simply to bask in this love, to receive it each day, to share it with those around me, to never run out of it but to get re-filled to empty myself again.
The problem is that way too often I do the emptying but not the refilling so what I end up giving to others comes out in the shape of religious acts and does not flow from a refilled heart.

Religion tries to help the individual attain that peaceful state when you know it is all well with your soul. Love gives the individual the certainty that all is well with your soul.

I want learn to simply know that all is well with my soul.

2 comments:

mle said...

You are quite a theologian yourself! I really love this post. Thanks for checking out my blog.

Life in the journey said...

You are welcome. It has been nice to hear about your life journey with respect to the adoption. I am fascinated with this concept and wish I was younger so we could also adopt.
I am excited for you! :-)